None of this was planned by any means, and when I initially broke the relationship off I had no intention of going out and announcing to the world that I was now single and ready to mingle! However, 2 days after the deed was done I was at a hot pilates class with two of my close friends one of them being McKay's sister Maddie. On the way home she asked if I would be inviting my boyfriend to an activity we were planning that weekend and I paused and then said, "Well guys..." And I will never forget their reaction as they both whipped their heads around to the back seat in eager anticipation to know if I had broken up with him. How did they even know that?! All I said was, "Well guys." Haha Well anyways, I of course told them what I had done, and Maddie upon hearing what I had to say asked me if there was any possible chance that I would maybe somehow want to go on a date with McKay in the event that he asked me. I kept my cool and said, "Yeah sure! I would go out with him." When really inside my head I was thinking, "Heck yeah!"
Two days after that night Maddie, McKay, Jeff and I all meet at the Gleason's house to play some games. Again we had a blast together, and McKay and I hit it right off! Other than all the drama my ex-boyfriend started creating, I was feeling pretty great about life!
So after night one, I gave McKay my number and he took great advantage of it. Pretty soon we were seeing each other every day. Honestly we kind of became inseparable. We loved spending time together and stayed up talking until all hours of the night. McKay was so creative in his dates, and we spent lots of time with his family too so we got to know each other really well. I felt really comfortable and at home with his family too which was a big deal for me. McKay and I didn't date many months before an engagement came but what we lacked in quantity we made up in quality. Haha It does surprise me too though when I think back on how I could go from knowing so little about a person to dating them and then marrying them 3 months later and actually make a good choice. Not even a good choice, an amazing choice! I honestly believe that God lead McKay and I to each other because I don't know how else I could have found someone so good for me in such a short amount of time on my own.
So technically I really wasn't making the decision on my own. When I first broke up with my ex I was easily swept off my feet by McKay's fun personality, and although I was incredibly happy with McKay I soon began to build up a lot of anxiety in my mind. I was scared of being deceived (for lack of a better term) because essentially that I how I felt about my last relationship to some degree. I had fallen in love with someone and then later realized that they were not completely who they made themselves out to be. Rather a very struggling person with a lot of emotional baggage. This had really taken a toll on me over the seven months of dating them, and I knew my little heart couldn't handle it again if I fell for someone else and they turned out to be the exact same way. I was very stressed about this idea, and McKay knew I was stressed. One night in the early stages of dating I tried to break up with him in hopes to clear my mind and get things straight in my head. I knew McKay was very serious about me and felt that I was the girl he would be happy with forever. I wanted to be as decisive as McKay but found myself wanting to sit on the situation for a couple months before moving forward. McKay told me that night that he would totally understand if I broke up with him in an effort to "clear my mind," but he also suggested to me that maybe what I was really needing was confirmation from God on what I should be doing. I really took McKay's thought to heart and I earnestly started seeking for an answer from God on how He felt about McKay. I am very grateful for this decision I made to stop worrying about all the negative possibilities and just focus on what He had to say to me about McKay.
So although I had my worries of whether or not my family would approve or whether or not McKay was going to turn out syco, but not even syco just someone who wasn't a good fit for me, I told myself that if God was satisfied with my choice in a man then what did I have to fear?
And truth is, I did feel from God a lot that He was very satisfied with my choice and that I was in good hands.
So let's just say that I am very grateful for McKay who challenged me to be proactive about my situation and rely on God rather than relying on my own ability or my own knowledge because not only am I a happily married women now but I also have a stronger testimony of God's intervention in our life and our ability to receive personal revelation from Him through prayer. Which funny enough was the exact same advice my mission president had given me all those months ago that I had so easily brushed off (And now is when I mentally apologize to my mission president).
So like they say, "When you want to spend the rest of the your life with someone, you want to rest of your life to begin as soon as possible."
So on July 30th, unbeknownst to me, McKay, Maddie, Jeff and I drove up to big Cotton Wood Canyon and while McKay and I went on a little nature walk Maddie and Jeff set up an adorable little picnic scene and then went and hide while they waited for McKay and I to "happen" upon it. As we walked McKay told me how much he loved me and how grateful he was for me and what a blessing I had become in his life. We then reached the picnic and McKay got down on one knee and asked me if I would spend the rest of my life with him. I couldn't keep the tears (and laughter!) back as I told him yes! After lots of pictures and food we drove back home and I called my parents and announced our exciting news and then we reached the house where a party was waiting for us with McKay's family and relatives, and my cheeks hurt from smiling so much and I felt like the luckiest and happiest girl alive. I still do.
![]() |
| During our "nature walk" before I knew what was about to go down |
![]() |
| Right after proposing to me! I am telling him, "Yes!" And Maddie hiding in the bushes in the back ground Haha! |
![]() |
| Cheers! |
![]() |
| Our personal bodyguard protecting us from the Moose's (Mossen? Meese? IDK) Side note: McKay made that Sunflower blanket for me all by himself! |
![]() |
| Newly engaged women - I am so happy! |
![]() |
| Beautiful ring customized by McKay! Beautiful bouquet! And can we all take a moment to recognize that by some great chance my fingernails were nicely painted and looking their best? Haha |
Now if you want a REALLY good story, ask McKay how he came to know I was the right one for him. ;)






No comments:
Post a Comment