Sunday, December 7, 2014

Doctors, Dates, and Felonies

I got my wisdom teeth out this week!
My mom drove me up to Grand Junction early Wednesday morning for my appointment. I was worried because I had a lot at stake this week, and really didn't feel like I wanted fat, swollen, tender gums to hinder my plans. Not to mention the fact that I had four wisdom teeth to remove and therefore had a greater risk of a slow recovery.
Getting put under was the strangest thing. One second you are wide awake and the next you out of it.
I faintly remember being woken up. I heard people saying my name and telling me I could get up. I remember feeling my face because oh you know, I just wanted to know what happened to it while I was under for the last hour. And then, I started wiping my eyes because, for who knows why, I had tears coming out of them....Yeah, not sure what that was about...
(I am now starting to realize that crying at the dentist is becoming a reoccurring habit of mine that I really don't appreciate haha!)
Next thing I knew I was lying in a dark little room on a bed with a blanket. All of the sudden I felt wide awake and annoyed that they had abandoned me and were making me stay in this room. I had just made my mind up to go out there and tell them to let me go when a lady walked in. She asked me a few things like how I felt, which I could barely reply to because my mouth was full of gauze and then left to get my mom. When they got back the lady (who I have never seen in my life) started talking about how great of a patient I was and how little I talked. She then asked my mom, "Does she say much at home?"
And I thought to my self, "Really? You just asked that to my mom?" What kind of question is that?! I was a sleep the whole time and when I finally did reach consciousness, my mouth was full of stuff.
I guess most of their patients carry on full conversation when they are put under because my goodness, this one didn't say a word...
Some people these days.....Haha!
I found it odd that I felt so awake afterwards. I didn't even sleep once during the drive back to Moab. I could barely eat for the next two days, and I spent most of my time resting. Surprisingly enough, I felt well enough to go to Institute the next day. But that was only the start of all the things coming that weekend. Friday night I had a date with Derek at Sunset Grill. At first I was super sceptical that I would be able to eat anything because so far my diet had only consisted of blended up mush, and I really wasn't sure how that would fair when I asked them to do the same to my food there...Haha But I was feeling up to it, and I kind of really wanted to go, so I did.
It was a company Christmas party that Derek had invited me to for one of his jobs. When we arrived we were greeted by all his co-workers and their spouses. Let's just say, I felt slightly intimidated because for some reason it felt vaguely similar to meeting the in-laws before you marry someone. Which is all to weird in and of itself because A) How do I even know what that fells like? and B) Settle down, Derek and I are only friends.
But to make matters worse this lady comes up to us and asks, "Are you married?" Which I totally saw coming from the start, but atleast we got a good laugh out of it.
And then of course there was the lady sitting next to us asking how we met and saying how great it is when you are first married with lot's of time to travel before the kids come, and we just shook our heads and nodded because yes lady, we know EXACTLY what you mean. Haha!
It really wasn't that bad even though I did feel out of place with a crowd of married adults and I'm just a little 18/19 year old, but it was all good. And hey, I actually was able to eat which Derek was like way shocked about.

The next day, Saturday, was stake conference. I was asked to speak in the adult session that day about my decision to go on a mission (another thing I was very grateful my surgery hadn't interfered with).
The whole meeting was great, and both Neal and I got to sing in the choir. Neal even had a cello part.
And then, I was invited by Derek to go on a hike with a group of friends that evening after the Moab Light Parade (which Neal and I were in aswell). But since not every day can be perfect, Neal and I conveniently locked ourselves out of our car, and to make matters worse, he had his big cello. So we decided we would just find a ride home and pick the car up later. On my way back inside the building I passed Derek who obviously could tell we were having problems. Haha I told him our situation and, to make the story short, offered Neal and his cello a ride home so that Neal could came back and get me with another car. So they left, and I just sat there; and sat there; and sat there...
I had officially convinced myself that Neal had abandoned me when Derek shows up with the keys to my car And all I could think was,
"You came all the way back for me???" Haha and that's when I decided that some people are too nice. But that's a good thing. :)
After the light parade my friends and I met up and headed out for our hike. Though I can't tell you where cuz it was kind of against the law (we like to live life on the edge). Haha

After our super fun "hike" we all met back at Derek's house for a bon fire. And then everyone left. Except for me. Because, Derek was my ride so I couldn't. The End...
Uh, haha just kidding... He took me home soon after but I had a hard time falling asleep that night because that bon fire really provoked some deep thoughts about the meaning of life....atleast that's what we will assume.

So turns out, my mouth has healed exceptionally fast, and I am starting to feel a little too lucky and so I better be careful because who knows I may get a bad infection five days from now....

Also, be careful what you pray for because you may just get it....and then some.

Oh and one more thing, enjoy the here and now of life regardless of what is taking place because at unexpected moments of your life you will realize that life is changing out from under your feet, and it might make you want to cry a little because you aren't ready for it...

3 comments:

  1. What are all of those comments at the end about?? I need details woman! Lots of dates with Derek, eh? And I totally know what you mean about the wisdom teeth! I cried too and had no idea why. Glad it went better for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca, I hope you get this reply! You should tell me your email address and I WILL give you details. Haha but really....

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed all your blogs and this one too. Keep them coming so I can have lots to reread when you are wandering around in the hills of Texas. Go git em, girl!

    ReplyDelete