![]() |
| Sunflower Hill Luxury Inn |
It's official! I am now in that elite group of individuals who struts around sportin' the "I Got Two Jobs" badge. It's really quite a rewarding experience. I highly recommend it. Of course you have to be one of those people who go for that sort of thing. If you have better things to do, or just plain hate work...you may struggle....a little.
I rather enjoy working two jobs because A) Keeps me busy & B) Satisfying
Oh the things that happen at work...
First off, since I have two jobs I have very different experiences at each one. Except for one thing-Tourists! Let's just put it this way, my life revolves around tourists right now. I wake up before 6 in the morning to go to a Bed & Breakfast so I can serve, talk, associate, help, and clean up after tourists. For eight straight hours of my day I am consistently associating with them. Then on the days I ALSO work my second job, I join the work force for another 2-4 hours to talk and sell things to MORE tourists. They never go away! Good thing I rather like tourist.
One happy memory of a tourist was just a couple weeks ago. A lady (who had stayed a few nights) came to find me, and give me a hug before her and her husband left our B&B. It was such a small thing, and yet meant so much to me. I had met the lady only the day before and was so glad that she saw me as a new friends. I had received actually quit a few compliments at work that day, and past week, but found her simple gesture of giving me a huge the most meaningful. When all is said and done it's not how beautiful my face is, how stylish my clothes are, or how nice my hair looks that really matters to me. It's who I am on the inside. Who I am not what I am in peoples eyes that really means the most. So when a lady I have only met a day or two earlier wants to give me a hug before continuing on her vacation, I am thrilled to think that whatever I did, or whoever I was, it created in her a love and affection for me.
See? There really are wonderful people in this world, and I am glad I get to meet a few of the many at my work. :)
On a not so good thought, the other day while I was faithfully cleaning dishes (forever cleaning dishes) a huge....HUGE spider literally APPEARED out of NO WHERE in the sink. In the split second after seeing the spider and washing it down the drain I had several thoughts race through my head. The first being, "Oh my heck. I didn't even scream." (Seriously, a miracle). Anyone looking at my face in that moment would have literally seen it go white. My heart pounded, and my nerves went all weird. I had that spider down the drain faster then a second. I was afraid it would some how revive from the sudden flood of water and make it's way back up the lurky sink drain to haunt me. But I made sure no such thing could happen by running scorching hot water down the drain for approximately five minutes mixed with random squirts of dish soap (now known as spider death). Even that wasn't enough though! Every time I walked by it afterwards I ran more hot water down the drain until I concluded with just placing a bowl over the top of the hole. If that spider was going to come back, it wasn't going to be by my doing. The worst thought though was, "If there was one huge, brown, harry spider, there has to be more." Luckily, I haven't seen another yet. If I did I would probably just up and quit my job regardless of the lack of money I would then find myself with.
If you can't already tell, I hate spiders! Junebugs are very questionable as well...
Though, can that be worse then the building my other job is located in which is apparently haunted?
For real. My boss was telling me all about it! Haha
Speaking of my other job, the second day I was there, I worked four straight hours with a girl (co-worker) who was very friendly and talkative which is definitely a plus (in some ways). You see, she may have been a little too talkative and friendly because by the end of the night I had a whole ear full of what kind of life style she lived. Let's just say it is a completely and total opposite of what my life is like. She was very open to telling my about her abusive relationships, crazy boyfriends, brother who's on drugs and probably in jail, running away from home, dropping out of school, and all other such things that happen in peoples lives who have no morals. She seemed to have experienced it all, and had no probably telling me about her "funny stories" as she called them. I'm not quite sure how you get "abusive boyfriend" and "funny" in the same sentence, but I assure you she did. While the whole time I just laughed and smiled in my own little polite way, trying to some how relate to this 19 year old girl.
I found her rather fascinating. She seemed totally accepting of her life style. She seemed to think nothing was wrong with it, and found no reason to become discouraged over her fate in life (so it seemed). Like I said, she called them "funny stories."
But, the girl has never experienced anything else. She knows no other lifestyle. Living in a family with more siblings then she can count on two hands, but only one that's actually biological, brothers living in jail, running away from home at a young age, dealing with abusive boyfriends....the list is endless, but in her mind it's just LIFE.
Somehow I thought everyone who lived that way was miserable, but I guess only someone like me would find it miserable. Someone who has had it SO GOOD her whole life. Someone who actually knows what bad is because they've experienced the BEST over and over again...
On a different note, I finally found out what the Kokopelli was all about. Not that I have been actively seeking that info out, but considering the fact that you see him EVERYWHERE in Moab, it kind of makes you wonder what's so special about it. Good news! I now know.
To sum up: He's an Indian farmer who plays a flute to bring peace and union between the opposite genders because of a disagreement/mis-understanding/separation between them. Some say he is a symbol of fertility, but what he really symbolizes is peace and union. The end! You're welcome!
And thus concludes the random tales of my two jobs FOR NOW. Part two may find it's way into this blog sometime aswell. Ya never know....
OH! and of course the the black lady working at the Bed & Breakfast who calls me "Sweet pea," AND "Sugar-plum"....Haha I can't forget her. She's the best part! ;)

I love it! I work with a ton of people just like the one you described and I had always assumed they were miserable too but you're right! They don't know any different, Id never thought of that before.
ReplyDelete